Thursday, September 22, 2011

marvelous

Let's take a moment to marvel at the wonder that is breastmilk, shall we? 

True, it is essentially juice squeezed from a person.  Which, I admit, sounds kind of gross.  But sometimes I just can't get over how truly cool it is! As a mama, I alone have provided all the nourishment my little man needs.  (My little man, who is probably at least 17 pounds at about 15 weeks!) The other day after pumping (which, let's be honest, truly sucks) I realized I had pumped almost 8 ounces in one sitting!  I couldn't get over how amazing the human body is -- how because Miles is going through a growth spurt, my body is creating more for him. 

But honestly, I never thought I would make it here. It's been a long road, and nursing was sooo hard the first few weeks that I really, really wanted to stop altogether.  At one of my lowest points, I called my friend Shannon, who nursed her daughter to 13 months.  I was sore.  I was engorged.  I wanted to give up.  And all I wanted was for her to say it was okay to quit. 

She never did. 

I was pissed. 

But now I'm grateful.  I know I couldn't have ever made it here without support from her and other friends like Kelsey (http://365cunningham.blogspot.com/) who helped me realize how lucky I am to be able to nurse. It's an amazing feat, and I feel so blessed to have had the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment