Monday, October 31, 2011

The 1%

I read an article over the weekend about how parenting is 49% hard / scary / terrifying / rough and 51% the most wonderful / amazing / loving / personal experience ever.  I totally agree.  Like, really a lot. 

I remember being pregnant and thinking THAT was hard - thinking it was a weird paradox of utter joy and happy anticipation mixed with complete anxiety (I'm going to be responsible for another human being?  You mean forever???) and frustration (at my body and all complexities that go with dressing a pregnant figure - especially for someone like me who cares too, too much about clothes - not to mention how being pregnant not only mean jeans and tops don't fit anymore, but neither do shoes, bras and coats).

But that was nothing compared to the real joy and sweetness (and the holy-crap-this-this-is-hard feeling) that comes from being a mom.  It's kind of like the baby monitor.  What a wonderful invention!  It allows me to put my little man in his own crib in his adorable nursery downstairs without worry.  But when the monitor cries at me at 3 in the morning, I want to turn it off, like my morning alarm.  Or throw it. 
On the other hand, when I stumble downstairs (why is it I walk like a drunk person at 3 a.m.?) and pick up my precious little guy and he's all warm and snuggles into my neck, it's the sweetest feeling in the world. 

See, it's that 1% that makes it all worthwhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment