Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth?

So yesterday I uttered the words I never ever thought I would say. 
I was picking up Miles from the bed after changing him, just picking him up and holding him close, something I do thirty or more times a day. I nuzzled his neck and squeezed him and said, "I sure love you, buddy.  You know that?  You have no idea how much.  But you will someday - when you have kids of your own." 

All my life my mom has said these words to me - "You'll understand one day when you have kids of your own."  Sometimes they were said matter of factly, sometimes accompanied with a twinge of irritation - epsecially when I was 14 or so.  But every time I received them with a "Yeah, yeah, whatever, Mom" attitude. 
Well, Mom, you were right. (How long have you been waiting to hear that?!) : )

I DO understand! I finally get it!  There is no love that the one a mama has for her baby. 

And someday Miles will roll his eyes at me,
and someday he will get it -

when he has kids of his own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment